My plan is still to spend the next 19 months completely all-in on rebuilding my marriage.
You say "completely all-in" but… That's the furthest thing from "transparency." That's lying by omission and manipulation
.
I have been keenly aware that the withholding of information about my intentions is manipulative, and I don’t love it. However, while I don’t love this answer of mine either, considering what’s at stake here (my friendship and my marriage), I am willing to let the ends justify the means this time. Catholics are supposed to reject such thought. I will not—not in this instance, anyhow.
It also strikes me as odd that you can so readily accept OW's agency if she declines to resume the friendship, but you don't grant the same acceptance of agency to your wife if she doesn't want OW in your lives.
Yes, I feel the tension there, too. Basically, "my AP" is an extremely selfless person. When one of her female employees had a breakup with the employee’s live-in boyfriend, "my AP" asked where the employee would be sleeping. Told that the employee intended to rent a room in a dirt cheap motel, "my AP" told the employee: that’s not safe. Come, sleep at my place for a few days, until you can get back on your feet. "My AP"—who was definitely not "putting moves" on her employee—literally shared her own bed with this employee as an act of compassion. I remember "my AP" texting me: "this is awkward!" Although a less vivid story, "my AP" would regularly smile through painful stories to hide her feelings. She told me in her "Dear John" letter to focus on my wife and to let go of the memory of "my AP" or hate her—but I believe her letter was written—as yet another act of selflessness—to encourage me to do what "my AP" thought would best serve my marriage. I believe ardently that a woman’s "no" to a man should absolutely mean "no," but I have to know if "my AP’s" guidance to forget her and not return to her was authentically what she wanted, or was she just lying as usual to be selfless. In my heart, I can justify one small ask for clarification. Something like: I have missed you daily since I have been gone. I accepted your challenges to me. I have been fully in service to my wife for 2 years. I have done all I could to heal her and put her needs first. I have tried constantly to do what I have believed was the right and proper thing. My wife has granted me permission for this final contact. (I won’t lie there; I’d write that only if it’s true.) I know it won’t be just like it was for us, but please consider whether we could try talking again about lighter stuff? If you refuse this offer, I will accept your decision. I will not harass you. You won’t ever hear from me again. I will return to my wife and have only her in my life—but I’d deeply appreciate a chance to count you again as a friend.
I own overwhelming culpability--just not 100% of the blame.
You need to own ALL of it. You're a grown ass adult. Your choices were, and remain, your own. Nobody made you catch feelings for someone who wasn't your wife and then continue the relationship behind her back. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to do that. I don't care how bad your marriage was; you had other choices, and you didn't take them. It's nobody else's fault but your own, as hard as that is to accept. …You COULD HAVE just ENDED YOUR MARRIAGE. I[t] wouldn't have been easy or comfortable or, I'm sure, looked upon favorably by your religious community, but that would have been the honorable thing to do if you couldn't tolerate the conditions and restrictions of your monogamous marital arrangement.
Your suggestion reflects a misunderstanding—of Catholicism, not per se of me. Divorce isn’t shameful for Catholics. Divorce is meaningless for Catholics. I mean: sure, there are legal ramifications for Catholics who divorce—the same as for anyone else who divorces—but there are no religious ramifications. It’s not stigmatizing for a Catholic to divorce, but a divorced Catholic cannot have romance/sex with or religiously marry anyone but the Catholic’s divorced spouse. Religiously, we believe that divorce does nothing. Sign all the legal paperwork you want. Stand before judges or arbitrators all you like. Live where you want. But you are still married to whomsoever you once married. So… a divorce doesn’t uncouple a couple. A divorce wouldn’t have been "honorable" because it would’ve accomplished literally absolutely nothing! We might as have well folded paper airplanes! My wife would tell you the same thing. There is no offense against a marriage or a person and no ceremonial means that can end a marriage, once it’s sealed by an eligible engaged couple.
Annulments don’t technically end a marriage either. Technically, they record official Church recognition that a marriage never sacramentally occurred in the first place. So…. for instance… If a "husband" has sex with a stranger on the honeymoon, the "wife" can petition for an annulment on the grounds that the "husband" never really meant his promise of sexual fidelity to his "wife." If an annulment is awarded, the once-couple is recognized by the Church as never actually having sacramentally been married. That’s why both of the once-"married" spouses are allowed to find other partners and marry them. Say all you want about how evil I am today, but I meant what I said way-back-when when I married my wife. As such, even if I really did have a full affair…. even if I was… I dunno… let’s just say: physically to abuse my wife (although something that evil isn’t in me)… there cannot be an annulment of my marriage on the basis of my subsequent actions. That’s how Catholics understand marriages to be permanent.
Adopt a posture that says to her, "I genuinely want to know how you feel [and not just because I have an agenda that requires your feelings changing" and encourage her to open up. If she won't, take some time to read posts and articles from other betrayed spouses here, to help you understand what she might be going through.
I’ve done that!
Me: I want my friend back!
Wife: No!
Me: We’ll make it harmless! Boundaries… safeguards… transparency—you name it!
Her: No!
Me: Why not?
Her: You just… can’t!
Me: …
So, F— yeah, I am reading for insight! But, ultimately, I hafta hear from her.
Also: you're not safe yet. You said just a few responses ago that you would weaponize infidelity in the future to manipulate your wife's behavior. (As gently as one can say this, that's some evil shit, dude.) Until you eliminate infidelity as even a possibility internally, because it's against your values, and your internal nature, REGARDLESS of what's happening in the exterior world, you will not be safe.
First of all, I still maintain that I have never had an affair—romantic, sexual, or emotional. What I have admitted is that I had cultivated a relationally disordered friendship. Whether or not the relationship in which I participated felt like an affair to my wife matters to me—some—because: she’s my wife and I love her and she’s hurting. She has my sympathies, and I am making certain sacrifices to try to ease her pain.
Until 2026, if you had asked me if I would ever have an affair, I would have said: no—absolutely not.
What changed has been my understanding of nuances I haven’t always recognized.
My marriage had deep-seated problems before I ever met "my AP." On this side of what happened, I asked my wife why— when I brought her to marriage counseling the first time—she was once so apathetic toward marriage rehabilitation, what my wife told me was: I never thought I would lose you, until I almost did.
What that taught me was: life is too busy to expect things to change in my marriage "just because I want them to get better." Do I want an affair? No! Who I want, romantically and sexually, is my wife—and only my wife. There’s no one else for me and there never will be. I don’t want a younger model—not even if that model were literally a professional lingerie model!
However, if I were to take a future affair completely off the table, no marital improvement would ever occur. Would I dangle the threat of an affair over the slightest unmet need? Fu-k, no!
My concept of "appropriate" affair tolerance is definitely waaay closer to the former policy than to the latter— but there has to be some sort of recourse for the Damned. Candidly, would I actually have a full affair under the worst and most unyielding of marital circumstances? Probably not. But, to be absolutely ugly-transparent, I now actually think both partners in a marriage ought to harbor—at all times— just the slightest bit of worry that one’s spouse could get swept-up in a dalliance. Otherwise, it is too easy to put one’s marriage on the back burner. That was my point.
[This message edited by Unconventional at 11:38 PM, Wednesday, September 30th]